27 March 2009

I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!

So we all know that I have been battling headaches for months and months now. Well I went to the dentist today due to a crown that has been bothering me for about 2 weeks. I had a root canal years and years ago and have gone through 3 or so crowns on this tooth. (Madi is shaking her fist right now, yelling about that damn dentist that worked on all our teeth way back in the day and really screwed hers up. Yes, yes, we know Moe, he sucks at being a dentist.) Back to my story, so I got a new crown on it in July but the last two weeks or so it's been hurting off and on and there is this funny taste coming from it when I bite down. So I go to my dentist and he takes an xray and explains it could be 2 things. One: 5% of women in the United States are allergic to metal. And they put a metal thing or filling or whatever inside your gum/root when you get a root canal. If you are allergic to metal this will make your mouth hurt. An unlikely scenario for me, but possible. Two: that previous mentioned metal piece has slowly broken down over the years and is causing an infection. Thus making my tooth hurt and the funny taste. Since this tooth is on the same side of my head as the headaches I asked if this could be related and he said most definitely. He also said that the wear on my teeth would suggest that I clench my teeth, most likely during the night. Which would also explain why I wake up with the headaches in the morning. AHA! See! I am not crazy! There is a valid reason behind my headaches from hell! 

So he gave me an antibiotic and I'm supposed to call on Monday and let him know if my tooth and headaches are improving, and if they are, I need to get my root canal redone. If that doesn't get rid of the headaches, then I'm supposed to go get fitted for this little mouth thing you wear at night, which sounds, super sexy I know, but since I sleep with a dog, I don't think he'll mind. 

4 comments:

Madi said...

Just have it pulled!!! I have been doing fantastic with my whole 16 teeth now for almost a year haha. Actually, I don't know if mom told you this but I went to the dentist last week because my back gums have been bothering me and they told me that it is because I have no teeth so my jaw is dislocating. And when that dislocates, it makes my head and shoulder and neck hurt too! It is wonderful really. And you know what I can do about it? Nothing. Because I am prego. And being prego sucks. So does Tylenol. I am very sorry about your mouth though it is no fun I know.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I didn't know about that. I kind of agree with Madi.

Anonymous said...

I hope this is it! Such a (relatively) easy fix to your headaches. I hope by Monday you're feeling way better.

Anonymous said...

Meagen-I have had migraines and know what you are going through with the grinding of you teeth during the night. I ended up getting a mouth guard and it is good that you do not sleep with the dog as one of my dogs did and through the night one of my wonderful dogs chewed up my mouth guard. I guess in my sleep I had taken the guard out of my mouth and thrown it across the room and found it in a million pieces. Needless to say, I am very glad that I keep my casting of my mouth so that I could get another one without it costing several hundreds of dollars to start all over to get another one. I do wear mine most nights and have a routine and if I wake up with out it on I look around my room and find it and clean it for the next time. Oh, and only one of my dogs sleeps with me now, the only one that can be trusted! I hope that the guard helps with the migraines. I also seem to get migraines in the allergy season and the changing of seasons. I could go on with the other activators of migraines like stress, anxiety and many others. I would love to hear how you are doing in the future and if that seems to help your migraines with the guard. I wish you nothing but the best luck with a cure of those terrible migraines. Cassie (your Moms' childhood chum)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...