12 June 2008

I feel discriminated

As some of you may have heard I've been looking at finding a new place to live for a few months. I love my condo now, but I think I need/want a change of scenery. I've been in my current condo for going on 3 years and I've really liked it here. It's two bedrooms, has a balcony, super cute, and I've loved it. But there are two big things wrong that the owner doesn't plan on fixing anytime soon. I know this because I've been asking since I moved in. 1- I can't fill the jetted-tub up. Hello?! It's a jetted tub, I'd like to use it! When water fills the tub it leaks through the light fixtures in the unit below me. They don't like that. I'm guessing there is a broken pipe or something, but the owners aren't willing to pay to have the tub ripped out to fix it. 2- The washing machine sucks. It needs to be replaced. When it hits the spin cycle it starts shaking and it's crazy loud! I'm pretty sure the family below feels like the ceiling is going to cave in. 3- Lastly, the family below me is pretty loud. They tend to YELL at each other when they communicate and it can get a little crazy. I guess it's not that big of a deal though because they have to listen to my washing machine rattle around when I do laundry at 11pm. We'll call that one a trade off.

Getting back to my housing search. I've looked in all of the apartment guides. These are nice because they list all of the newest complexes, have lots of pictures, and pricing right there in front of you. Problem - 90% of them are subsidized housing, which means they have income restrictions and I don't qualify. Even if I had a family of 5 living with me, I'd still make too much money to live there. Mo money, mo problems. :) Okay, I can deal with that I guess.

I've tried the rent.com and apartments.com route as well. They have a few different places, but for the most part it's just an online version of the apartment guides. A lot of their listings are Salt lake based too and since gas is $4.00 a gallon, commuting right now is not an option as far as I'm concerned.

Lastly, I've been looking at Craigslist faithfully every day to see if anything pops up. At first glance there are some OK places between PG and Provo. But for the most part I ignore anything that doesn't have a picture. I even went and looked a basement apartment today at lunch but it didn't have a living room so that isn't going to work. I've yet to come up with anything as nice as my current place thus far. But as I looked through today's current posts I came across one that sounded nice. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, big family room, storage space, central air, my price range etc. Then I saw it. "This place would be great for a small family or three students. No single professionals." What? I've seen similar things on many other post before. Married housing, newly weds, students only, etc. I'm tired of seeing this. Just because this area is full of people who love to get married doesn't mean we all are! Okay, this BUGS and I feel discriminated. I can't rent a place because I'm not married or have single friends that want to bunk up? What exactly makes married people or 3 students better renters than me? Wouldn't 3 students be more likely to throw parties and trash the place than me the single-responsible-working person? I do not understand.

If my rent doesn't increase I'm staying in my cute condo with the broken tub and washer where they don't discriminate against the un-married. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No single professionals? That is the second ODDEST thing I've ever heard of in my life (the first being this).

I used to always have the exact opposite problem. When landlords discovered I had kids, they would suddenly lose interest in renting to me. And I can hardly blame them based on how I see kids behaving these days.

Have you thought of renting a house all to yourself? I ended up having to do that after I started fantasizing about killing my neighbor in the 4-plex I was living in at the time.

jayni & ben said...

hahaha. You kill me. That is MESSED up though. Maybe you could call and work something out. Or say Holli is going to live with you?! Idk. I am not against un-married people. I love them!

Meagen Ridley said...

I know, it makes no sense to me. I have looked a few houses, most tend to be out of my price range or have too much space. I only need 2 bedrooms, $650ish a month.

Anonymous said...

I'll rent you my upstairs bedroom and bathroom for $650/month and employ you as my assistant. What do you say... Laguna Beach?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...