03 April 2009

Root Canal


I had my root canal this morning and it did not go well. Apparently there are 3 root stems/branches in this tooth and one of them had so much decay they couldn't do the whole procedure. So they did as much as they could and then put some sort of super-antibiotic directly inside the root. I have to wait 2 weeks and then go back in again for them to finish it. Ugh.. I was in the chair for almost 2.5 hours this morning, it was awful. I was numb, obviously, but honestly, dental work gives me anxiety. I hate it. Just laying here, feeling the pressure, and hearing the drills and other instruments. And now I have to go back again in two weeks. :(

The silver lining lies in my crown. Luckily, they could just drill a hole right through the middle of my current one, so I won't have to get a buy one.

As far as the service of Monarch Dental goes, I was not very impressed. Has anyone else visited them? It felt like a dental chop-shop. Like they just do procedures one after another, bring patients in and then get them out quickly. Only my procedure was far from quick. Each little room is just a tiny box with a chair, dental equipment, and gray walls. And I got to see almost every room because I was shuffled around 3 times before landing in my final chair. There was nothing to look at either, which bugged. The part that bothered me the most was the doctor never really gave me any indication of how things were going along the way. And since I couldn't speak, I was going a little mad not knowing how much longer I would have to lie there. Also, some decorations may help distract you from the fact that a guy has a drill inside your mouth, just a thought. The only reason I went with these guys was because they could get me in the soonest. I probably should have waited until the end of the month to see one of the endodontists my dentist recommended. But, I just couldn't wait that long knowing getting my tooth taken care of could very well get rid of my headaches.

My experience today showed me exactly why my current dentist is so amazing. He's Dr. Rick Leishman, of Crawford Leishman Dental, the group that gets named "Best Dentist in Utah County" for four years running. Dr. Leishman is AWESOME. Each time I've seen him, he answers all of my questions, and explains everything in terms I can understand. While he's working on you, he gives you progress reports, lets you know how things are moving along, how much longer he expects it to be, etc. And the most impressive thing he does is calls you the night you've had a procedure done, just to make sure you are feeling okay and to see if you have any further questions. He personally calls, not someone from his office. Now that is a great doctor who really cares about his patients. And each of their procedure rooms are decorated beautifully with different themes, which to some may seem trivial, but having cool Harley's, vintage cars, or American flags to look at helps a bit with the anxiety.

Maybe I'm just so spoiled with the service of Crawford Leishman dental my standards were too high going to Monarch. But it's over with, for at least 2 more weeks, and hopefully this will eliminate my headaches.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I've never had anything as drastic as that done.
Sounds like my old dentist. They were one of those in-and-out places. You never saw the same dentist twice and the hygienist was always different. They did have a little decor, but were very impersonal and made you feel like they wanted you out of there.

Andrea said...

Todd had to do the same thing with his root canal because of infection. Of course, he is a procrastinator when it comes to the dentist, so ended up having to go in 3 times for the same root canal. Hopefully this antibiotic will take care of the infection and it will all be done with soon. Maybe it will even help with the headaches by clearing out infection. Good Luck.

Andrea said...

That was redundant. Sorry

Brady and Madi said...

Were you at least on the gas? That would of made it all worth it hehe. Utah Surgical Arts in Provo is good. That is where I got all my stuff done last year. Personally, I would just get that tooth pulled, it isn't worth it. It will just come back in a few years and bite you in the ass again I promise. The place in Provo is worth going too though I think, they didn't give me any lip when I asked them to pull the rest of my teeth and if you need anything or have any problems they will see you again within a day or two.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...