05 April 2011

The Gargoyle

*So this is a review I posted on a different blog I had about two years ago, but I got a request to do some book reviews (Hi Laci!!) so here's a repost (with some tweaks) until I put together one of a current book I've read.

My 2nd favorite book (after To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee) is Andrew Davidson's, The Gargoyle. I really love this book! The Gargoyle would be a perfect airplane read. I can get completely engrossed in a book when I am on a plane. I think it's because I have absolutely no interest in talking with the strangers around me and do my best to tune them all out. But back to the book. The beginning is a little brutal. Not because it's boring or difficult to read, but because it's so descriptive you can almost feel the words. The first part describes a car crash that the narrator experiences and if you can make it through that you won't want to put it down. The remainder of the book is the narrators experience with burn recovery and addiction and a woman named Marianne, whom he meets in the hospital. Marianne is a psych patient that has been recently released and tries to convince the narrator they met and loved in a previous life. She is awesome. And crazy. I loved each of the stories Marianne told because they kept my attention. I couldn't wait to continue reading to hear the next part of each one. I also liked the way the narrator goes back and forth determining whether she is totally insane, or if they really happened. I love how they all tie in to one another, and in the end when he tells Marianne Engel he loves her. Aww. So sweet. Here's a excerpt from that part.

"...I spent my entire life waiting for you, Marianne, and I didn't even know it until you arrived. Being burned was the best thing that ever happened to me because it brought you. I wanted to die but you filled me with so much love that it overflowed and i couldn't help but love you back. It happened before I even knew it and now I cant imagine not loving you..."

I recommend reading this book if you are in the mood for a love story and can stand reading a little human suffering. Side note, I am not really familiar with writing book reviews, or any reviews for that matter so I apologize if this one kind of sucked. Maybe I'll improve in the upcoming attempts. Click here to see what I am currently reading.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...